17 Great Tips To Treat Depression Naturally
One common ailment that many people suffer from is depression. Depression comes over people unexpectedly for many different reasons, ranging from the death of a family member to the loss of a significant other. No matter what the reason for the depression, it can have a detrimental effect on people. For tips to treat depression naturally, read this article.
Let me start by getting the obvious out of the way first. Depression is incredibly common and so the first thing you should do is consult with your doctor and consider seeing a therapist depending on the severity of how your feeling and your ability to cope with your feelings. If your depressive symptoms are interfering with your ability to work, go to school, or impacting your relationships then definitely seek medical care. In addition to doing that here are some great tips to help you out as you deal with your situation.
15 Tips To Treat Depression Naturally
- Exercise regularly if you suffer from depression. Exercising releases endorphins that stimulate mood and reduce stress. Exercising also has long-term health consequences that can reduce depression. For instance, eating too much sugar is known to worsen depression symptoms in some people. Overweight individuals also suffer worse depression symptoms on average.
2. Change your depressive thoughts. If you are suffering from negative self-talk then consider whether you would be equally negative if you were thinking about another person instead. Treat yourself as kindly as you would treat a loved one. Try to re-think these thoughts more constructively or realistic by using statements with suggestions on how you can solve the issues.
3. A great piece of advice for someone struggling with depression is to actually watch what you eat. Many times those who are depressed eat goods that actually make them feel worse. Avoid fried and fatty goods which will make you feel slow and lethargic. Focus on high energy foods like nuts.
4. Play dress up. Take the time in the morning to get yourself ready, even if you are not going anywhere. Putting on your good clothes, including shoes, can increase your confidence and your mood. Feeling sloppy and frumpy in old, stained clothes may be comfortable, but it does nothing for your mood.
5. In your battle against depression, challenge your negative thoughts (all of the tips regarding changing your thinking are great tips to treat depression and entire therapy models are built around this strategy). One of the by-products of depression is putting a negative spin on how you see yourself, your future, and situations that you encounter. If you are like many people who suffer from depression, you are a perfectionist and hold yourself to standards that are impossibly high. Permit yourself to be less than perfect and quit beating yourself up if you don’t meet impossible standards you have set for yourself. Negative thoughts will cause depression to become an endless cycle.
6. Drink plenty of water. Everyone knows that plenty of water is essential to body health, however, it is also crucial to mental health. Having a good and positive attitude is physically more difficult when you are dehydrated. Dehydration can cause your brain to begin to shut down, causing even a normally happy person to become down.
7. A great tip for anyone battling depression is to build an encouraging, supportive social structure. Try to be warm and positive toward those you encounter and work on involving others in the things you enjoy. By doing this, you will be able to avoid dwelling on feelings of sadness, which will lessen the sensation of helplessness that you may have experienced in the past.
8. Another of the great tips to treat depression is to not make any big or rash decisions. Often times when we are depressed we make irrational decisions based on emotions, not knowing which often makes things worse. As such sit idly on those big decisions till you feel better.
9. Keep your friends and family close. Many people are willing to help you deal with your depression. Allow them into your life and include them in your situation. You will be surprised how understanding people are. Connecting with others in any way will only be beneficial to you and they might even be able to provide a few smiles.
10. Talk to someone about how you’re feeling. You may feel that no one understands what you’re going through, but the truth is that many people suffer from depression at least once in their lives. Join a support group or talk to a loved one and you won’t feel so alone.
11. A beneficial tip for anyone facing depression is to intentionally take a break from feelings of anger or sadness in order to stop and consider all of the positive things in your life. By taking stock of the good things with which you have been blessed, you can shift the focus away from your troubles and lift yourself out of your depression – at least temporarily.
12. When it comes to dealing with depression, you may wish to consider listening to recordings that are of a motivational persuasion. This is important because a little coaching can sometimes be all that is needed in order to feel good about yourself. Check your local library for tapes before purchasing.
12. Stay away from negative people. Everyone has someone in their life who is negative about everything they see. Make your life a little more positive by getting rid of this person. They complain about everything, and your life would be better and happier if you were not sucked in by their negativity.
13. A good tip that can help you get out of your depression is to not label yourself as someone that’s depressed. If you’re always telling yourself that you’re in a depression, you’ll most likely stay depressed. How can you expect to get better if you’re always seeing yourself as so depressed?
14. Set a goal. Often times depression can be caused by a lack of purpose or a feeling of failure. If you set a goal for yourself it gives you something to look forward to and to work towards. It gives your life a purpose and a reason to get out of bed in the morning.
15. Get enough sleep – depression can often interfere with both sleep quality and sleep quantity, so be sure to get enough sleep. On the other hand, if you find that you are sleeping too much be sure to get out of bed and get your self active as much as possible.
There are many ways that depression can be treated and there are new methods being studied all the time, one of which is Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS). To read more about it take a look at this article.
Magnetic pulses can ease depression A device that delivers magnetic pulses to the brain could help ease depression — even in people who haven’t been helped by medication.Research is ongoing into whether transcranial magnetic stimulation or TMS, can help people with autism, schizophrenia and a host of other conditions involving the brain.For now, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved TMS for use in adults with depression who haven’t been helped by medication.Dr.
Furthermore, depression is a common ailment that many people all over the world suffer from. It comes over individuals unexpectedly for different reasons, such as death or loss. It can have a detrimental effect on people regardless of the reason. If you remember the tips to treat depression in this article, you can deal with depression naturally.
Here’s a link to a Web MD article about tips to treat depression naturally that compliments what I’ve written here.
You may also want to check out my article on Assertiveness and Power Posing, because lack of assertiveness can cause problems with depression.